Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On Mobiles....


The title sounds crazy...the post will seem even more so... the mobile seems to be one thing around which my life revolves for the time being....

As I tried with my other obsessions in life, I did try to make myself free of this too.... tried to live without glacing at it time to time checking for the (in)famous missed calls, the ocassional genuine messages( other than the forwarded lines or good nights which many a friends of mine hav a habit of to send to all their contacts)... the attempt was unsuccesful on every occasion... one time I tried switchin off my mobile, the idea was to lose contact with the 'cell' world for atleast half a day...my friend in abt 20 min called to my landline..."what hapnd to ur cell?, I ve been tryin for so long...switch it on...i need to tel ya sumthing n its economical to cal u on tht"... thr ended tht day's attempt...
And on another wonderful day, I thot of not switchin on my cell aftr I left the college, whoevr calls might cal me later whn i m at home,thts wat I thought...it takes one hour for me to rch home by bus...n by the time i finally rchd home...thr was my darling mom at the door...Y the hell have we bought u a mobile????? In times of need, u never answer my calls....with the fear of my cell being taken away if i tried tht again...I hav stopped doing tht whn i m out...

And speakin of cell phones reminds me of the time when I first got my mobile...I was a lot younger then, mind you... n new to the world of cell fone technology n sum very nice cell fone users...all the major networks had onnet free calls.. n i got this call frm an unknown number...since then, ppl rarely called on my mobile, I jumped at the chance n answered the call...
Hello... Hello..Is this ( sum female name) ?
No, this is Lakshmi...( my stupid answer)
Oh...Lakshmi... How r u doing, dear?
(I became wary at once, i knw its late, but better late thn never)... DO i know u???
No..but we cud get to know each other...
No thanks...I don make friends with strangers...
n I hung up...

But what followed was a spate of calls... frm a little more than a dozen numbers all asking for Lakshmi....
I changed my number a week after...gettin sound scolding frm my bro...But tht did teach me an important lesson,right... I never made the mistake of repaeatin it again...:)

Y is it tht Indians find it impossible to live without cell fones??? i knw this is a topic many hav spoken bout, but literally it is hard to find Indian households in which not evn one member if not all have cell fones....

My mom, on hearing the Airtel ring tone... jus last week...yelled at me to pick up my cell... Y cant u take the thing with u whn u go to the other room??? n Y hav u placed it in the kitchen, of all the places?, she askd... only to find our maid running towards the kitchen...pry open her 'hand bag', take her mobile n spk to her son.... Mom was too shocked to spk...she jus grinned at me...I had nothing to say either...Khuda jaane kal hamein aur kya dekhana padega???

5 comments:

Useless Bugger said...

You've put it perfectly!!!

Its so difficult to lead a life without mobile phones. And I always wonder how ppl survived before the advent of mobile phones (this, coming from a man who has owned a mobile phone for just 5 years now) :-)

Good post! And that kid in the display pic is sooooo adorable. Seeing that pic made my day :-)

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

strange. i was just thinking of blogging on mbile-and then chanced on your blog.
so rightly said!

Lakshmi said...

Thanks a lot:) u ppl my day wth tht comment... Usually my posts r read n commented upon by my real life frendz alone...

DPhatsez said...

Nah Lakshmi! It takes a lil while before other ppl start reading your posts as well. It caught me by surprise too as only my coll pals used to read my posts initially (or so I thought) :)

Oops! Ente mobile adikkunnu! Poyi edukkattey :)

gayathri vishwanathan said...

that maid incident reminded me of the airtel ad...it goes like this: a couple stands near the paan kii dukaan and order paan for themselves. suddenly the airtel music plays...the couple check their mobile phone only to find that it's not their fone ringing. suddenly when they bend down, they see the panwala's assistant talking over the mobile fone in bhaiyaa accent...kya chutki kaa vivah ho gaya kya, humhari bhi kara do naa :)

bada comment ho gaya nahi...